He’s back! Shaun Thompson aka Shaun T but better known as Mr. hip hop abs or Mr. Insanity is at it again. The celebrity trainer debuted his newest fitness program, CIZE, this month and Bombshell loves what it’s all about. We caught up with the motivator to get his views on health, fitness and pursuing his passion.
Life is about balance, and it’s within that balance that you will find a fitter, healthier you.
Q: You attended college and received a BS in Sports Science with a minor in Theater and Dance. When did you discover that health, fitness and dance were your passions?
A: While at college I gained 50 pounds. I started working out and teaching classes to help hold myself accountable. As I lost the weight and started teaching classes, I fell in love with motivating other people through fitness and through dance.
Q: How did you get started creating your passion into the profession you have today?
A: I believe you can do anything you set your mind to. So as I grew more and more passionate about dance and fitness I just set my goals and kept working until I achieved them. I still do that today. I set goals and I work hard. I wake up each day with a passion for helping people. I know that if every day I just focus on helping people, everything else will fall into place.
Q: What advice could you give to our readers on pursuing their passion and making a living from it?
A; Never give up on your dreams. Don’t let anyone tell you can’t do something. When Hip Hop Abs first was offered to me, someone told me that those infomercial things never work. What if I had listened to them? The course of my life might look different. Go after your dreams with passion and don’t let anyone or anything stand in your way.
Q: What do you feel your purpose in life is and do you feel that your current career is allowing you to live out this purpose?
A: My purpose in life is to help people realize that they are the BEST version of themselves. To help them truly love who they are…to TRUST AND BELIEVE in who they are! Through fitness and dance, I have been able to motivate and inspire and do just that. My workouts are about so much more than just physical changes…I get the opportunity to speak to people when they need it the most.
Q: How would you describe your philosophy about being fit and healthy?
A: I believe in living by the 85/15 rule. 85 percent of the time you eat really healthy and workout relentlessly. The other 15 percent of the time you eat foods that are fun and skip your workouts for other activities. Life is about balance, and it’s within that balance that you will find a fitter, healthier you.
Q: Describe your CIZE program. How does this technique differ from other workouts that you have created and what makes it so effective?
A: CIZE, which stands for the END of EXERCIZE, is about LIVING IN THOSE 8’S. For a dancer, when you are just dancing, you are expressing yourself, letting loose, and having fun. You will lose weight, burn calories, sure…but most importantly you will be dancing and having fun. You will be accomplishing things you never knew possible. Everyone can dance, they just don’t know it, and with CIZE I show them that inner dancer inside of them.
Q: You have a very busy schedule. How do you manage to find time for your own workouts when you’re filming and traveling?
A: The great thing about my workouts is that most of them don’t require equipment. And yes, I do my own workouts…that Shaun T is crazy! And now with the addition of Beachbody on Demand, all I need is access to wifi and I have access to my workouts. I workout in my hotel room, or in the hotel gym, and I schedule it as part of my day. I will wake up earlier if I have to.
Q: What advice can you give to others with busy schedules on staying committed and focused on fitness goals?
A: SCHEDULE IT! When you are busy then you have to be focused. Schedule your workouts in your calendar so it’s like an appointment you can’t miss. Plus this way you don’t leave it to chance. Also, don’t be afraid to speak up at restaurants and alter the menu a little bit to fit your needs.
Q: Eating healthy and fueling your body from workouts can be hard, what’s your typical meal for…
- Breakfast: Egg whites, avocado, fruit
- Lunch: lettuce wrapped burger, avocado, sweet potato
- Dinner: spaghetti squash, meat sauce, sushi
- Snacks and dessert: popsicles, peanut, M&Ms
- Favorite Beverage: sparkling water
- No matter what I would never eat: CARROTS (I am allergic)
Q: Do you find it hard to eat healthy when you’re on the go or do you have a strategy?
A: It can be challenging, but I do the best I can. If there are no healthy options, sometimes I will half it up and just eat a smaller portion. But usually, with a few simple changes to a menu I can find something that will fuel my body and keep me set on my goals.
Want to know more? Keep up with Shaun T by visiting Beachbody.com and shauntfitness.com. Follow him on social media…