Oh the weather outside is frightful but these soups are so delightful! Whether you’re a meat eater or vegetarian, we are sure you will enjoy these scrumptious soups!
Paleo Karuzo Sweet Potatoe and Kale Soup
1 large onion diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces of spanish chorizo
3 stalks celery
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
5 garlic cloves
2 sweet potatoes
8 cups of chicken broth
1 lemon juiced
- Cook and stir onion in olive oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add chorizo and continue cooking, stirring frequently, for another 3 minutes.
- Add celery and carrots; continue stirring and cooking until vegetables have softened slightly, about 3 minutes. Add cumin, paprika, turmeric, kosher salt, ground black pepper, saffron threads, and garlic. Cook and stir until garlic is fragrant and slightly soft, 3 more minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Add kale and cook until vegetables are soft and the kale is wilted and cooked through, about 10 more minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice; adjust salt and ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with harissa and parsley.
Spicy Chicken And Hominy Soup
- Cook the onion, celery, and garlic in the oil with ½ teaspoon salt in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, chicken, hominy, and chipotles. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve the soup with the tortilla chips and salsa.
Mushroom Barley Soup
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, carrots, garlic, thyme, and ¾ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and barley. Simmer, partially covered, until the barley is tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Top with the chopped flat-leaf parsley before serving.
Recipes from realsimple.com